Facebook Marketplace is a great place to find antique and vintage treasure!
How to buy on Facebook Marketplace? That’s a question I get all of the time from my readers. So today, I’m going to share a few tips on how to find fabulous finds on Facebook Marketplace!
Facebook Marketplace is an online platform within the Facebook social media network that allows users to buy and sell items with others in their local community.
It was launched in 2016 and has since become a popular destination for people looking to buy and sell a wide variety of items, including clothing, electronics, furniture, appliances, and much more, including vintage, antiques, and collectibles.
Facebook Marketplace is a place on Facebook where people list all kinds of things for sale and there are all kinds of treasure to be found!
It’s designed to be easy to use and accessible to anyone with a Facebook account. Users can browse listings in their local area, search for specific items, and communicate with sellers directly through Facebook Messenger. Transactions are typically done in person, with buyers and sellers meeting to exchange the item and payment.
Facebook Marketplace is free to use, and sellers can post items for sale with just a few clicks. It’s a great way to declutter your home, find unique items, and support local businesses and individuals in your community
Unfortunately, you cannot buy on Facebook Marketplace if you don’t have a Facebook account. Facebook Marketplace is a feature within the Facebook social media platform, and you need to have a Facebook account to access it. If you don’t have a Facebook account, you will need to create one to use Facebook Marketplace.
Facebook Marketplace has become the popular alternative to Craigslist for buying and selling items online.
One of my favorite finds on FB Marketplace is this antique Louis XV gilt wood child’s chair.
A sweet acquaintance of mine, Andie of the popular Divine Theatre, is the one I consider to be the Facebook Marketplace Queen!
If you don’t already follow Andie, you should! Her FB Marketplace finds are amazing and drool worthy! She has literally created her stunningly gorgeous home with 2nd hand items, many of them from FB Marketplace. I’m so excited to show you some of her beautiful spaces and gorgeous finds today. Also, for more beautiful inspiration, checkout Andie’s pages on Instagram and Facebook!
Andie’s home is breathtaking, and as you look at her beautiful spaces, you will understand why I call her the Queen of Facebook Marketplace!
Is it easy to buy on Facebook Marketplace?
Yes, buying on Facebook Marketplace is generally quite easy. Here are the basic steps to follow:
- Log in to your Facebook account and navigate to the Marketplace section (usually found on the left sidebar).
- Browse the listings to find items you’re interested in. There’s also a search bar if you want to search for specific items. Search the keywords for what you are looking for, such as “vintage dresser”, “French chair”, “antique mirror”, “vintage dishes”, etc. Or in my case, I search for “antique French”!
- Click on an item to view more details, such as the price, description, and photos.
- If you’re interested in buying the item, click the “Message” button to contact the seller and ask any questions you may have.
- If you’re ready to purchase the item, arrange a meeting with the seller to inspect the item and make the transaction.
- Once you’ve inspected the item and are satisfied with its condition, pay the seller and take the item home.
It’s important to remember to exercise caution when buying on Facebook Marketplace, as you’re dealing with individual sellers and not a professional business. Be sure to inspect items carefully and ask questions to ensure you’re getting what you’re paying for.
How to avoid scams on Facebook Marketplace:
Unfortunately, in today’s world, there are some scammers on Facebook Marketplace but with just a few precautions, you will be able to spot the scams. Here are some tips to help you avoid scams on Facebook Marketplace:
- Check the seller’s profile: Look for a profile picture, friends, and other activity on their profile. If the seller has no profile picture, few friends, and no activity on their profile, it should be a red flag.
- Use Facebook Messenger: Use Facebook Messenger to communicate with the seller. Scammers will often try to move the conversation to another platform, such as email or text message. Keep all communications on FB Messenger if possible.
- Inspect the item: Before making a purchase, inspect the item carefully. If the seller is unwilling to let you inspect the item, it could be a sign of a scam.
- Beware of deals that are too good to be true: If the price of an item is significantly lower than what it would typically sell for, it could be a scam, but not always. I’ve found some unbelievable deals on FB Marketplace.
- Use secure payment methods: Use a secure payment method, such as PayPal, to protect yourself from scams. Avoid paying in advance or putting a deposit down. Pay when you actually see the item and pick it up.
- Trust your instincts: If something seems off or too good to be true, it probably is. Trust your instincts and don’t be afraid to walk away from a potential scam.
How to stay safe when buying on Facebook Marketplace:
Buying on Facebook Marketplace can be safe, but it is important to exercise caution and take common sense steps to protect yourself.
- Inspect items carefully: Before making a purchase, inspect the item carefully to ensure it is in the condition described in the listing.
- Communicate through Facebook Messenger: Use Facebook Messenger to communicate with the seller, and avoid moving the conversation to another platform. I never move the conversation to text message until I’m confident that I’m dealing with a legitimate seller. If something seems off to you, it probably is. Listen to your instincts.
- Meet in a public place if possible: When meeting the seller to make the transaction, choose a public place with other people around if possible.
- If buying furniture that can’t be seen in a public location, bring a friend or relative: Consider bringing a friend or relative with you when meeting the seller to make the transaction, and make sure someone knows where you are going.
Yes, you can negotiate with sellers on Facebook Marketplace. In fact, negotiating the price of an item is a common practice on the platform. Here are some tips to help you negotiate with sellers:
- Do your research: Before making an offer, research the item’s market value to ensure you’re making a fair offer.
- Be polite: Approach negotiations with a friendly and respectful tone, and avoid making lowball offers.
- Make a reasonable offer: Make an offer that is reasonably lower than the asking price, but still within a good range.
- Be willing to compromise: Be open to compromise and willing to meet the seller halfway.
- Again, communicate through Facebook Messenger: I cannot stress this enough! Use Facebook Messenger to negotiate with the seller, and avoid moving the conversation to another platform.
- Remember, negotiating with sellers on Facebook Marketplace is a common practice, but it’s important to be respectful and reasonable in your negotiations.
Once you start searching for specific items on FB marketplace, their algorithm will automatically start showing you pieces that fit those searches.
Overall, I think FB Marketplace is a great place to hunt for and buy vintage and antique treasures. If you know what you are looking for, you can search and many times find it. Be sure and search with your particular keywords often. Listings are added all the time, and things will sell quickly as well.
Since moving back to the South, I’ve only found two pieces on my local FB Marketplace that I felt was a great buy. One was the antique Louis XV gilt wood child’s chair that I showed you earlier in this post. The other is the reproduction Louis XV French desk.
For some reason, my local FB Marketplace doesn’t seem to have a lot of what I’m looking for, at least not like the unbelievable pieces that Andie finds!
But, I still search through the listings every few days just to make sure that I don’t miss something! The hunt, after all, is part of the excitement!
Here are a few items on my local Marketplace that I’m currently keeping an eye on:
If you have been hesitant about shopping on Facebook Marketplace, I hope this post helps you to take the plunge!
A big thank you to Andie at Divine Theatre for allowing me to share some of her incredible Facebook Marketplace finds in her gorgeous home!
Are you a Facebook Marketplace shopper? Have you found something fabulous on this platform? Please share!