We’ve been working on the study renovation for what seems like forever. We’ve had several “life interruptions” over the last six months, so things have moved along pretty slowly.
I thought I would give you a little sneak peek to see what we’ve been doing in this room.
The study will be my office, and I usually end up spending quite a bit of time in there.
The “before” was dark and dingy, and though I spent a fair amount of time in there, it was a little depressing.
It took me several months to decide what to do with all that dark paneling, weighing several options, and I kept coming back to the same thing, which was painting it.
I know some of you will cringe at the thought of painting over the paneled walls, and may have strong opinions on the subject.
Just know that I didn’t make the decision lightly. It took me months to make the decision to paint it, and I’m so glad that I did.
The old wall panels weren’t in the best of shape and the finish had taken on an “orangey shade” over the last 40 years.
They could have been sanded down and re-stained, but that option really didn’t appeal to me.
I always kept coming back to painting the panels, so that’s what we did and we have finally finished it.
I’m so happy with the results!
(I apologize for the poor quality of photos. The day that I shot these, it was rainy and gloomy so the lighting isn’t the best.)
It took a long time to get the walls painted, first priming the walls and then painting with Benjamin Moore Advance paint, which is an alkyd paint.
It offers the application and performance of traditional oil paint in a waterborne formula that cleans up with soap and water.
The Advance paint leaves a wonderful hard finish.
After priming, we gave the walls two coats of the Advance paint.
It was a bit time consuming, but so worth it.
I toyed with several color options, but in the end, decided to go with Sherwin Williams Agreeable Gray, which is the gray that we’ve used on the walls throughout the house.
I considered going with something dark and moody, but I was so tired of how dark it was before that I decided not to go that route.
I love this shade and tone of gray because it works with so many other colors, and I wanted something light and fresh.
We had already planked over the popcorn ceiling and I kept it light as well, choosing to lightly whitewash the pine planks with Minwax white pickling stain.
It’s amazing how much bigger the room looks.
The other element that I wanted to do was adding “frenchy” doors to the open bookcases.
I asked hubby if he could make them for me, and he cheerfully said, “Of course, precious!”……actually, he was less than thrilled, but he did come around to my way of thinking, and made the doors.
I wanted them open to see the contents on the bookshelves, so we added wire screen to each one.
The screen is a wire mesh that is sold for pouring concrete.
We found it at our local Sutherland’s Lumber Company.
It comes in larger sheets than what we’ve used in the past (barbeque grill replacement grate), which we needed for the larger openings in the door.
The screen was originally silver, so I painted it flat black so it would present a little bit of contrast against the gray background.
I love the way they turned out, giving the room a totally different look, and complimenting the mullioned windows that are original to the home.
The French chandelier is also an original piece. I love this chandelier, but it had some major issues.
I had originally planned on replacing it, even purchasing another chandy to go in it’s place.
However, after the walls were lightened, I realized that the chandelier was perfect for this room and it had to stay.
It needed some repairs, so we removed it from the ceiling, and hubby worked on rewiring it, which entailed completely replacing the sockets with new ones. Several of the old sockets didn’t work any longer and they were European as well, so he ended up having to replace all of them.
After it was rewired, I cleaned 40 years worth of grime and dust off of it, and it sparkled!
It had always hung just a bit off center, so we increased the chain length so that we could swag it over to hang in the correct location.
Now that we’re finished with the major elements in the room, I can start the fun part of bringing in the furniture and decorating.
I’ve already started, by hanging a print of a French painting……..more to come!