How to create a fabulous china cabinet transformation using chalk paint!
I’ve had this great French Provincial china cabinet sitting in the garage for awhile, just waiting for it’s transformation. I bought it about 8 months ago at an estate sale and knew that it would fit perfectly into an inset area in the family room.
Here is what the cabinet looked like when we brought it home from the estate sale.
And here is my inspiration photo from Annie Sloan’s book, (aff link) “Color Recipes for Painted Furniture”, and knew that I wanted to try to duplicate the look with just the right piece.
This china cabinet fit the bill.
Here is what she looks like after her transformation! Not exactly like Annie’s piece, but close!
I am loving the way it turned out! In case you haven’t been following along, we have been completely renovating our 1970’s fixer upper home, room by room.
As we breathe new life into each room, we are lightening everything up with neutral colors of white and gray.
I love adding pops of color against all the neutral background colors and blue is one of my favorite colors to work with.
Plus it works great with the gray tones we are using on the walls.
The family room is just off the kitchen and it has a small inset area next to the patio doors.
I wanted a “frenchy” style cabinet that I could display some of my French religious collectibles in. I think this piece worked out perfectly!
I painted the inside with ASCP Aubusson Blue. Annie used Greek Blue in her piece, but I didn’t have that color and really didn’t want to go buy any.
Aubusson Blue is a strong blue and since the cabinet interior will be in shadow during different times of the day, I wanted a strong color on the inside.
The base coat on the outside is ASCP French Linen, another favorite color of mine. It’s a gorgeous darker gray.
I ended up doing two coats of the French Linen and once it was dry, I added a coat of clear wax.
Once the coat of clear wax was dry, I mixed up a thin wash of ASCP Paris Gray and Old White.
I thinned it with water and taking one section at a time, brushed on the the thin wash, then taking a rag, I dragged it through the paint to create a washed, dragged, and distressed effect.
I then took a fine sanding sponge and did some light distressing to the edges.
The top coat was a mix of clear and dark wax. I like to mix a bit of dark wax into some of the clear wax, keeping it in a separate tub. This mixture gives me an antiqued look without dealing with full strength dark wax, which can be hard to manipulate sometimes.
After letting the cabinet dry for 24 hours, I buffed it with a soft towel to give it a wonderful sheen.
It fits perfectly into the inset in the family room and I love the colors. I’m slowly getting some of the French religious pieces placed inside. At some point, we may add interior lighting to the cabinet, but for now, we will leave it just as is!
The family room is finished and we love the way it turned out. I’m sure it will get tweaked many times, but it’s nice to have the major renovation completed. The dining room will be next and we have already started on it. It’s another room that is directly off the kitchen, so it will be nice to see that one completed. The popcorn ceiling is already scraped and we are working on removing the avocado green flocked wallpaper! Fun times!